Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What a terrible joke

So I was watching the Jay Leno show tonight. Not something I usually do but thought it was actually funny for a change...at least up until the part where he joked...JOKED...about selling babies "straight out of the mines of Myanmar." That hit a sore spot. I mean, you don't even go there. That's one of the most heartless things I've ever heard. I was stunned. How can they joke about that? How can that ever be the least bit funny? That breaks my heart. Those kids, those people from Burma, are precious and deserve better than to be at the butt of a joke like that. They deserve to be honored and cared for and protected and fought for...but the sad thing is many people, most people, don't even know where Myanmar (Burma) is. And they don't even care. I sat on my couch and cried tonight. I know for a fact God is fighting for them. Sending His guardian angels to protect them. Bringing them help through people simply willing to give their lives and work nonstop to serve Him and bring the helpless, the hopeless, the persecuted, and the desperate to Him.

I can only pray that God shows the world how precious those babies are to Him. How precious each and every person is to Him. He died for them. How can you show your love more than that?

3 comments:

  1. thanks for standing up. human trafficking is despicable. Love you Jess :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly agree that that's nothing to joke about and Jay Leno can get pretty edgy sometimes and by no means I'm trying to defend him...but... allow me for a moment to play the devil's advocate:

    1. I watched the show last night and I don't remember such a over-the-line joke being made, so today I had to watch the show again online to find it.

    2. It is very important to take into consideration the context where the joke was made. It was a mock-up infomercial about baby costumes to make your baby more fun, I know silly.

    3. The idea or line as you state it: "Selling babies straight from the mines of Myanmar" was never said quite like that.

    Basically the "infomercial" goes on to add a bonus if you purchase a kit for your baby, the bonus is "a free baby from the baby mines of Myanmar" That's a very different sentence, expressing something very different. Basically the idea behind the joke is that they had mines where they, well, mined babies and such mines were located in Myanmar...I didn't necessarily take it as a joke making fun of kids from Myanmar, the way I think the whole thing went down is that they wanted to come up with some really remote country and like you said Myanmar (Burma) is a not everyone knows about.

    Let me make this clear, I'm not defending the show, I have a heart for Myanmar as well but I think we have to be fair and be objective therefore I don't think they meant it that way. Believe it would have been all over the news by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment, Leo...I appreciate another perspective. I have a huge heart for victims of trafficking and those subject to genocide. Frankly, in my opinion, joking about it in any way, however it was meant, is insensitive and uncalled for. And I don't believe trafficking is often reported on the news, which is why it is so important for us to get the word out about it!

    ReplyDelete

divine chocolate