Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Moldova

I'm going to be posting a few different times about my trip to Moldova to give you a visual of what it was like. First things first. The culture.

Let me give you a background...my good friend Kalyna, her husband Patrick, and their 3 small boys moved to Moldova this past summer to be missionaries and work with victims of sex trafficking at a safe home there. Really awesome and it was so neat to be able to go visit them and see what life is like for them. The culture is very different, very Russian, and because Moldova is a former Soviet country, when you go out in public, no one smiles and it seems like almost everyone is wearing black. This is because when they were under Soviet rule, they were only allowed to wear 3 colors -- black, white, and grey -- so even today, the culture seems void of color, save for the few younger people we'd see every once in a while, bucking the trend and wearing a splash of bright color. When out in public in the Soviet era, if anyone had any expression on their face, they could be targeted for whatever reason. So everyone went outside with a deadpan, almost bored expression, which has become an ingrained part of their culture today. It took me a while to figure it out until the 2nd day in, when after traveling around on public transportation for long enough, I just wanted someone to smile at me (Picture me trying to fit in while out in public, not smiling. You're right. It didn't work very well!). :) But...Moldovans are extremely friendly and hospitable people. It was a very interesting piece of their culture to notice, though.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you wil help me?
    I met on the Rembrandsplein on April 13, 2022, a young lady she sat down next to me and we started talking, she hadn't been in Amsterdam very long and lived in the UK. I asked if she was religious and she said she didn't need God, but now that the 1st bomb has already fallen she may have come to realize that she does need Him.
    I let her go to my sorrow because I will not be unequally yoked. She was red-haired and 34 years young, I am a giant by her standards and this giant from the Netherlands would really like to get in touch with her again, she would go to her mother who kept a lot of goats, maybe she will come on your blog? She can find me on YouTube: Obelix Magnet Fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I shouldn't know she's coming, I know she's coming, How? By a Christian song I got on my heart: Fear not, only believe. Fear not, only believe. Everything is possible to the one who believes. Then go to Jesus He will never leave you alone, everything is possible to the one who believes!! All I know is that she become just before the rapture and that is very very soon. which means I will soon see you too

    ReplyDelete

divine chocolate