Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Soul Searching

Soul (definition) - The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal/the essence of something
_________________________________________________________

This is a really deep post...but I can't help it. I'm curious, and want to know what you think!

After a few conversations I’ve had this week…talking about death and life and God and souls…I wanted to pose a question. How much do you know about your soul? Or...how much do you think about it?

I’m convinced that our souls take up more of us than we could ever realize. Think about it. If you’ve ever been to a funeral, the person doesn’t look at all like themselves. It’s like something is majorly missing. Maybe that’s because their soul has left. And it’s just the shell behind.

It seems to me that my soul is such an intrinsic part of me that I can’t even really identify where it begins and ends and what it truly means and contributes to my every day life. At least I can’t figure it out. Maybe because it’s such a built-in, automatic part of me, that with God as the center of my life, it has fused with the rest of me. But then I think, if we leave behind our bodies, our earthly shells behind when we pass away…then my soul is me. My soul is really who I am. It is tangible and real.

I don’t understand it at all. The more I think about it, the more I get confused. But I am certain our souls, whether we realize it or not, do exist and are there to remind us of our Maker, our King, our God.

Can you distinguish between “normal” excitement and “soul” excitement? For me, I can tell that my soul is reacting when I can literally feel it leaping inside of me…welling up inside my chest…like if it wasn’t inside of me it would be going crazy with joy and excitement because it knows God is near, God is with me, God is bigger than anything that could come against me.

What do you know about your soul?

1 comment:

  1. Ya that's deep. Your right about going to funerals and looking at the body, that's all it is.
    Normal excitement and soul excitement. I like that. Normal excitement to me I guess is like going to buy something I have been wanting,It makes me feel good for a moment sometimes longer. Soul excitement though is so much more! helping someone, or seeing positive things done to others makes me just feel better about things...When I can feel God at work in me. I don't know how to express what I want to say.
    I suppose I believe our souls are generally good. God has given each and everyone of us a soul, and when we do good, see good, etc we can feel it. Maybe because that's part of Gods way of showing us there is more to our lives then just our selves. Then when you accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior it increases.
    Again I'm not great with words i suppose to try and answer your questions, or really put how i feel about our souls I'm going to need more time. Just thought I'd let you know though it makes me think. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

divine chocolate