Friday, September 10, 2010

Baking Endeavors

I've decided to go on a baking frenzy for a day. I have a good friend's baby shower coming up, and another good friend and I are in charge of making the desserts. We have a few ideas, but there is the possibility that we're jumping in over our heads. The question is...will it be too overwhelming for non-bakers who are just used to mixing up chocolate chip cookies, brownies, or cake-in-a-box? I've done a little bit of baking, but nothing too huge. And I think this might be quite the adventure. Here are our ideas.

First on the dessert menu are delicious white-chocolate-banana crème brulée tarts. I borrowed the recipe from one of my co-workers and am pretty confident they'll be a hit. I'll try to remember to post pictures of them! I'm not usually a banana dessert person, but these are to-die-for. Just thinking of them makes my mouth water...


Second on the list is the cake. Now this is the big deal.

We've been going back and forth about whether to just do cupcakes, or to do a big sheet cake or one of those fabulous baby-belly cakes, like you see below.


And, on top of that, we have to decide what type of cake to make. Our friend loves fruit and cheesecake, so I think we decided upon a lemon-raspberry flavor, and cheesecake frosting. How does that sound? Overwhelming? Delicious? Delightful? I mean, my goodness, how could you resist this?


We want to attempt fondant, too. I figure if worst comes to worst and we fail, we'll have delicious buttercream frosting to fall back on.

My other idea is (since we might not have the same-shaped cake pans to make the baby-belly cake above) to make a sheet cake and mold rice krispie treats into the baby belly shape, place it on top of the sheet cake, and cover that in fondant. So we get the delicious cake but don't miss out on the fun of the baby belly. OR we make a dozen smaller cakes out of cupcakes, which could be fun, too.

So...that's it in a nutshell. My mom has some wonderful cake decorating supplies, so that will help very much when we try to decorate the cake, whatever it ends up to be. I'll post pictures of course, but what do you think? Are we, as novice bakers, crazy to attempt this? AND...do you think we can do it? We're both just a little bit excited about being this adventurous.

I'll put it to a vote. Let me know which one you think would be better/more fun.
1. The big baby-belly cake
2. Sheet cake topped with molded rice krispie treats
3. A dozen small baby-belly cakes

And...do you have any fun ideas/recipes that might be fun for us to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment

divine chocolate